Sunday, May 12, 2013

Breakfast Part 2: The Scary Part, Eating out in a Restaurant (and Eating Out in General)





      Today was Mother's Day, so we went out to eat breakfast at a restaurant. It was a small, local diner, that seated less than 50. It was clearly a family run joint, with Mexican running through the theme. 

     We don't eat out very often, but when we do, there are some rules I follow depending on what kind of restaurant it is. For example, at Chili's, they have a separate printed paper Gluten Free Menu, which I ask for right away when I'm seated. The menu changes so I don't count on the fact that something I ordered last time will still be gluten free this time. Other restaurants might have a whole section already dedicated to gluten free options (but you still have to tell the waiter/waitress you have Celiac as gluten free is not the same as Celiac Friendly, which I will cover later). In rare, cool instances, you might find a restaurant dedicated to gluten free, like Fireside Pizza, where we like to eat when we are in Squaw Valley, Lake Tahoe, or some restaurants in Bend, Oregon, like another gluten free pizza restaurant. You can also check online before eating out for Allergen Menus, which not only mention wheat or gluten, but also dairy, soy, nuts, and other common allergens. You can print it out and take it with you. Some places like Boston Market have the Allergen Menu as a brochure near the cash register.



     So, today, we were at this cafe, and I was given the menu below. This restaurant did not have an online or paper Allergen Menu or gluten free menu, so I had to make my choices following this process:








Here is how I decided what I wanted to order:



  • I first looked at all the sections and eliminated what for sure I couldn't eat. 
  • If I did not understand an ingredient, I asked my mom, and then eliminated from there (like the Benedicts, which I found out have english muffins (EVIL wheat) and the sauce is thickened with flour (EWWY). 
  • Once I figured out what I COULD have, I then decided what to eat. In this case, I decided between the two Mexican dishes: Huevos a la Mexicana and Huevos Rancheros (I like chilis (the spicier the better) and Mexican food. Many Mexican foods are tasty and can be gluten free, like tamales.)
  • Then I begged my mom 
    for a large Chai Tea Latte to finish off the yumminess. I was EXREMELY full afterward, but it was yummiliscious.
  • When I placed the order, my parents made sure to mention that I have Celiac and that nothing could touch wheat or gluten when preparing my meal. The waitress understood and affirmed it would be safe to eat (sometimes they don't what Celiac is and will go and talk to the chef directly first). 
  • When my food came, I looked over it and made sure it was what I ordered and was safe to eat and what was described. 

So, to recap, when you eat out, first eliminate any items you know you can't eat, then ask questions if there are any ingredients or menu items you do not know, next narrow it down to a couple of things you might want to order, and finally ask the waiter/waitress/chef if they are safe options, and place your order once you verify it is gluten free.


The tortillas were wrapped first and then heated to avoid contamination.



If they bring you an order where they included bread, toast, contaminated fries, etc, don't be afraid to send it back. (Another good side note: don't ever assume french fries are gluten free. They often fry them in the same oil as chicken tenders and other breaded items, and some fries like curly fries contain wheat! :( ) 




Tomorrow is a school day so I will be back blogging again if I have free time from studying during the week or for sure on the weekend. And try eating out using the tips, and, if in doubt, ask ask ASK! Remember, gluten free is cool!

1: That IS how I held my mug, 2: My eyes are NOT red :)









(All these photos were taken on my HTC One phone, are not edited in any way, and uploaded to Dropbox)




No comments: